I tell patients quite often about the healing properties of bone broth. Many of them have heard about it, since it is kinda trendy, but many do not know why it is so good for us. Bone broth is made by getting bones and cooking them on low temperature for a very long time. This method causes all the connective tissues such as the cartilage and marrow to literally dissolve into the solution. And these are the most nutritious parts of the bone that we rarely get access to. If you are dealing with any chronic condition I recommend bone broth on a daily basis. For general health a few times a week or more would be good or you. Some people like to just drink a 1/4 cup or so, and others just add it to soups or stews. Here are a few of the benefits of bone broth:
1. extremely nutritious: including essential amino and fatty acids, iron, calcium and magnesium.
2. protects your joints and helps with osteoarthritis: by supplying collagen from the connective tissue.
3. supports your immune system: amino acids like arginine, glutamine and cysteine have been shown to strengthen our defenses.
4. makes you look younger: also by making more collagen available to the body.
5. increases bone strength: supplies more natural calcium but also iron, phosphorus, magnesium and zinc which are components of healthy bones.
So either start making your own bone broth or buy it at most grocery stores or on line.
Click here for a good bone broth recipe.
Monte Jackson, owner Acupuncture Center of Richmond