1. xiao yao san. Probably our most prescribed formula and good for a number of things such as stress, PMS, irritability, anxiety, insomnia and fibromyalgia. Also good in general for the the liver and the blood. This formula is a tonic, meaning that it makes you stronger and healthier overall over time and can be taken for years if needed.
2. shen tong zhu yu tong. This is our go-to formula for pain and trauma, and especially pain in the extremities. Consists of a dozen or so herbs, mostly blood movers meaning they improve circulation. 3. balance heat. This is a formula mainly used for treating menopause, which can lead to a whole host of symptoms this formula can treat. This is not a classic formula (but is based on one called liu wei di huang wan) but is one that is formulated by our top herbal supplier, Evergreen Herbs.
4. xiao feng san. This is a great overall formula that works for a variety of things but especially conditions such as itching, rashes, Bell's Palsy, Parkinson's, psoriasis, hives and acne.
5. yin qiao san. This is our common cold formula which, if taken soon after symptoms start can actually stop a cold in its tracks. If it doesn't stop the cold completely it will usually reduce the severity and length of the cold. And it causes none of the damage that antibiotics do to the microbiome. It reduces symptoms while allowing the body to 'practice' fighting a cold. Even the immune system needs to practice and taking antibiotics every time we get sick doesn't allow for this.
These are just 5 of my favorite formulas, more to follow. Chinese herbals have been in continuous use for literally thousands of years. They can be used to treat most illnesses and diseases either as an adjunct to western drugs and treatment or standing alone. Over the past 15 years we have found through trial and error what formulas and brands of formulas work the best and that is what we prescribe.
I want to continue with the list because many people think that acupuncture is only good for treating pain. As the medicine of China, however, it has been used for several millennia for treating most medical conditions. So here are 10 more conditions that I feel we treat as well or better than any other medicine.
1. pinched nerve.
2. headaches and migraines.
3. side effects from chemotherapy.
4. chronic fatigue syndrome.
6. frozen shoulder.
7. irritable bowel syndrome.
9. multiple sclerosis.
People are often surprised by the range of issues that acupuncture can treat. We often see patients that have searched all over for cures and they find it with us, at a fraction of the cost and with no side effects. He are just 10 that I feel we have extra good results with:
2. sinus infections.
3. common colds.
4. upper respiratory infections.
5. digestion and stomach problems.
6. acne and skin conditions like psoriasis and eczema.
7. PCOS (polycystic ovarian syndrome)
9. Bell's Palsy.
I like reading top 10 lists. So I thought I would make a few of my own. So here goes. This is the top 10 things people come in to my office for (with no further explanation):
1. back pain.
3. neck pain.
4. anxiety and stress..
7. shoulder pain.
You should do acupuncture during pregnancy for a myriad of reasons.
Acupuncture during pregnancy is safe, there are a number of benefits without any negative or dangerous side effects to you or your baby.
Acupuncture during pregnancy is beneficial in maintaining a pregnancy-it encourages the proper blood flow to nourish your uterus and your unborn baby.
Acupuncture during pregnancy is great for easing the symptoms of pregnancy such as morning sickness/nausea, fatigue, sore breasts, spotting, gas, bloating, insomnia, indigestion, heartburn, swollen ankles/feet, leg cramps, backache, headache, forgetfulness, ligament pain, allergies and appetite.
Acupuncture during pregnancy is relaxing-pregnancy can be stressful on the body, acupuncture helps to balance the moods, alleviate the detrimental effects of stress on your pregnancy and calm your mind and balance the spirit.
Acupuncture during pregnancy helps prepare your body for labor a delivery by optimizing the positioning of the baby (particularly useful for breech babies) and encouraging the proper cascade of hormones to get labor started.
Call in to set up your appointment and start reaping the many benefits of acupuncture during regnancy.
Remee Gemo, L.Ac. is a women's health Acupuncturist, Chinese Face reader and Artist you can find out more about her and her practice at EmpressAcupuncture.com
Monte Jackson, owner Acupuncture Center of Richmond