The answer of course is always! They say only 1 in about 10 people in the US has tried acupuncture. The reason I hear most as to why, is that people are afraid of the needles. But, as anyone who has had acupuncture will tell you, the needles are not a problem. I have treated about 5000 people, and there have been less than a handful that really complain about the needles. That's a pretty small percentage. Some people don't believe that it could possibly work. If it didn't work it wouldn't have stayed around for literally 5000 years. If it didn't work I would not be able to get up and go to work every day. If it didn't work we would not have patients return again and again, and recommend us to their family and friends. And the studies have proven it works. Some people say they just never considered it. This I can understand a bit more. We are very much saturated by the western model of health and healing, we grow up in it. But people are starting to come around to the benefits of a medicine steeped in wisdom, without side effects, and which stresses prevention.
In Chinese medicine we call inflammation heat and sometimes damp-heat. So an acupuncture treatment for pain will almost always address inflammation. Inflammation usually occurs in acute injury as well as chronic injury and illness. For instance rheumatoid arthritis is diagnosed in our medicine as heat in the joints, or more specifically a general excess of heat in the body has logged in the joints. To fix such a problem you have to reduce the overall amount of heat in the body. You do this by finding and treating the root cause of this excess heat or inflammation. In something such as fibromyalgia excess heat can lodge in the muscles. So the advantage of Chinese medicine in these cases is that we are more likely to ask why? Why is there excess heat? If this question is not answered than we are really only treating the symptoms without looking for a cure.
If you look under specials on our site you will see that our packages are always 3 or 4 treatments long. This is because we have found, from experience, that this number is a good indicator as to how things will go. Most, if not all, conditions will not resolve after 1 treatment. If we do 3 treatments and see no improvement then its most likely going to take good while to get significant results. If you do 3 treatments and you are say 80% better, then you might want to do a few more and try for the other 20%. Luckily the later situation is much more common than the first.
Monte Jackson, owner Acupuncture Center of Richmond